WELCOME TO THE MARVEL AVENGERS ALLIANCE UNOFFICIAL FORUM
*PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING*

Another way to save the game?

Come here to discuss general topics, not specific to either PVE or PVP.

Moderator: Logistic Division

ddlooping
DirectorDirector
Agent's info
OP

Another way to save the game?

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 4:05 pm#6838

Pointed to me by Agent ATOMiZE...
APRIL 18, 2014 1:09 PM

RockYou buys three Playdom games from Disney to keep them running

Social game publisher RockYou has purchased three major Playdom social games from Disney so that it save them from being shut down.

The move is part of a greater strategy that may endear RockYou to fans who face the prospect of seeing their favorite social games closed...
Source : http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/18/rocky ... r-players/
However I've just found the following article...
JULY 22, 2016 1:15 PM

Mobile-social gaming firm RockYou lays off 65 peopleg

Mobile social game RockYou is laying off 65 people, or 18 percent of its staff, over the next three months, GamesBeat confirmed today.

The San Mateo, California-based company has been steadily expanding and contracting as its business needs change. RockYou’s business revolves around its ad network and monetizing old games that it acquires from other publishers who can no longer make money from them. RockYou shows ads to the players and helps monetize the games, keeping them alive longer...
Source : http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/22/mobil ... 65-people/
The three games they bought from Disney are apparently still going though.

Agent ATOMiZE has taken the initiative to contact both Gameloft (support@gameloft.com) and Zynga (notifications@zynga.com) and is awaiting replies.

Do you think these avenues are worth pursuing?
We have nothing to lose, right?

For those who've missed it, there's also a petition going.
Keep in mind that the more signatures it gets the more chances of another company making an offer to buy the game back.
So please sign it if you haven't already done so. :ca:

Agent ATOMiZE
Level 2 clearanceLevel 2 clearance
Agent's info

Re: Another way to save the game?

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 4:07 pm#6839

Keeping FINGERS-CROSSED :dpg: :oops:
Nothing to say. Heart Broken :cry:

Nightmarium
Agent's info

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 4:36 pm#6850

Any way is worth pursuing. Those three games seem to still be running. It is at least worth the shot. Remember though that if Disney won't give them rights for whatever reason, it'll have no use even if those companies would like to take the game under their wings.

I would be also good idea to point out that petition to them.

ddlooping
DirectorDirector
Agent's info
OP

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 4:45 pm#6853

Nightmarium wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:36 pm
I would be also good idea to point out that petition to them.
Indeed it would, making it clear it has only been up for a couple of days.

We could also mention the forum : "No need for you to spend $ on setting up a forum, there's already one". :lol:

Willowfang
Agent's info

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 5:07 pm#6857

Well, hopefully they'll save MAA, but I may just quit anyway.

I mean, I've been playing since Valkyrie's SO, and love it, but it takes a huge amount of free time and am both glad, not that it's end, but that I would be able to move on without being able to come back, but sad too, for everyone, and that this era was ending. I told my wife it was ending, and she was happy. I was happy too, but it's bittersweet as well

Maybe I could get far more casual, but I was always a go to the top kind of player, albeit EverQuest, City of Heroes/Villains, World of Warcraft, or now MAA. So not sure I could lower my play time for MAA if I was playing at all

Angui
Agent's info

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 5:19 pm#6863

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

The games which were sold were all games which only had something like its name (Disney's ...) connected to Disney. This was changed afterwards, of course. Licensing the Disney name would be expensive. Now licensing actual Disney/Marvel content might also be too expensive.
HAPPY NEW YEAR! New computer and catching up. Will post on a regular basis again.

ddlooping
DirectorDirector
Agent's info
OP

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 5:20 pm#6864

Angui wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:19 pm

The games which were sold were all games which only had something like its name (Disney's ...) connected to Disney. This was changed afterwards, of course. Licensing the Disney name would be expansive. Now licensing actual Disney/Marvel content might also be too expansive.
I can't correct you because I have no idea.
I'm just putting the ideas forward. ;)

Angui
Agent's info

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 5:27 pm#6865

ddlooping wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:20 pm
Angui wrote:

The games which were sold were all games which only had something like its name (Disney's ...) connected to Disney. This was changed afterwards, of course. Licensing the Disney name would be expansive. Now licensing actual Disney/Marvel content might also be too expansive.
I can't correct you because I have no idea.
I'm just putting the ideas forward. ;)
Of course you had to quote the version BEFORE I corrected the typos. :bb:
HAPPY NEW YEAR! New computer and catching up. Will post on a regular basis again.

Nightmarium
Agent's info

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 5:32 pm#6866

Angui wrote:

The games which were sold were all games which only had something like its name (Disney's ...) connected to Disney. This was changed afterwards, of course. Licensing the Disney name would be expensive. Now licensing actual Disney/Marvel content might also be too expensive.
True. Also I have feeling they intend to do something with that license (MAA3, whatever). Especially after what was written at gamespot...

Willowfang
Agent's info

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 5:35 pm#6869

Yeah, but they bought 3 games from DI, so that would have to be 3 out of say the top 5 DI games I would think

Still a matter of what they can afford, but I would pretty much assume MAA was one of the 3

If MAA isn't 1 of the 3, then what all did they buy?

That said, maybe MAA would be a problem child to own, constantly getting approval and rights for every new hero and/or Story. But I'm sure most any group that could do the programming would love to have MAA to play with otherwise, if the hassles,, if indeed there would be any, aren't too hard to deal with

Angui
Agent's info

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 5:38 pm#6870

Nightmarium wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:32 pm
Angui wrote:

True. Also I have feeling they intend to do something with that license (MAA3, whatever). Especially after what was written at gamespot...
I don't get this from what gamespot wrote at all. For me it sounds like "we have decided to focus our efforts on new game experiences" and new means not old like the MAA experience.

Demolition Man
Agent's info

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 6:04 pm#6872

Angui wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:38 pm
I don't get this from what gamespot wrote at all. For me it sounds like "we have decided to focus our efforts on new game experiences" and new means not old like the MAA experience.
Well, it can a sequel without being a similar experience. World of Warcraft is a sequel to Warcraft III in terms of the setting, but it's a very different kind of game. I'm sure, for example, that they're not working on another Shockwave Flash game, and that right there guarantees a difference.

Demolition Man
Agent's info

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 6:08 pm#6873

Willowfang wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:35 pm
It's a two year old article, and the games were Gardens of Time, Words of Wonder, and City Girl.

Willowfang
Agent's info

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 6:22 pm#6875

Demolition Man wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:08 pm
Willowfang wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:35 pm
It's a two year old article, and the games were Gardens of Time, Words of Wonder, and City Girl.
D'oh, didn't notice the date

Digifiend
Trainee agentTrainee agent
Agent's info

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 7:28 pm#6881

For the record, there are only three Playdom/DI games currently active. Avengers Alliance 1, Avengers Alliance 2, and Star Wars Commander. Playdom will therefore be down to it's last game.

Return to “General discussion”